As an e-commerce business, you can use Twitter to promote your products. However, hustling your way in front of an audience can do more harm than good.
Most business owners try to leverage a platform to increase his top line sales. This approach towards Twitter or any social media channel will backfire and your brand’s presence will not take off. Leading to increased Ad spends and an endless cycle of buying Ads and interrupting people.
The most important thing about Twitter is to Shut Up!!!
When a new social media channel is in sight internet marketers often think what should I say on this platform. The first thing to do is NOT SAY. It is to LISTEN.
It is to listen what your potential audience has to say.
It is to listen what your current customers are talking about on Twitter.
It is to listen what kind of products people are talking about in your niche.
To get started use search.twitter.com and look for what people are saying about your brand or the product you represent.
Step 1: Get the basics right
Before you get started using Twitter as a marketing tool you have to establish a profile which makes users feel inquisitive about your brand. By having a clean profile you can increase the number of followers of your brand, increase engagement and get high ROI for your marketing campaigns.
Profile pic – Use your logo here. This pic gets displayed beside every tweet so make sure it is clear and of high quality.
Cover Pic – Cover pic is where your brand gets enough space to express itself. Use this space to give a message to your audience of what you stand for. Refrain from using the cover pic for promotional purpose.
Twitter Handle – Twitter Handle is the name which will appear in a tweet when a user converses with you. Use your brand name here to leverage the free branding you receive upon mention of each tweet.
Website – Mention your online store URL here. Make sure you tag the URL using Google URL builder to measure results in Google analytics campaigns reports.
About – The about section should not be used to ask people to visit your online store and buy products. It should communicate why your brand is here on Twitter. Which is to help and converse about the products we love.
The Banana Republic makes good use of its profile page options by giving an appeal which the brand stands for which is “Versatile Contemporary Fashion”
Step 2: Follow and converse with people who are influencers in your industry
After you complete your profile you should start following popular Tweeple(Twitter Users) who regularly tweet about the products you represent. You can use twitter advanced search to find the best people. You can even search for people who tweet based on sentiment, language, place and time.
Use Followerwonk to dig in people who have been tweeting about products in your niche. For instance, the below example pulls up people who are interested in Vinyl. If you are an online store which sells Vinyl you can follow or get in touch with Vinyl collectors and Vinyl DJs.
Step 3: Commit to a tweeting schedule
Trusted brands are built on social media when you decide to show up every single time especially when is most inconvenient for the customer. Your daily tweet schedule should include –
- A series of automated tweets relevant to your niche – I use buffer for this
- Dig up Twitter users who are talking about your products to interact and follow.
- Be part or start a conversation which is a pressing problem in your industry.
- Build a relationship with other businesses and people in your sister verticals.
- Address customer complaints and interact with people who are looking up to you for help.
- Tweet your latest offers and discounts so that your followers can avail the offer.
- Tweet about your new product line and upcoming offers to keep your audience inquisitive.
- Ask your audience questions and opinions on topics relevant to your products and niche. Encourage creativity and quirkiness for maximum exposure.
- Tweet recent blog posts, lookbooks, buying guides or any piece of content which has some social affinity.
- Tweet media mentions. This can help you establish your brand credibility among your audience.
- Promote your events on Twitter. A conversation about your events can help.
Step 4: Have a strategy in place for Customer Support
The sad part about social media for business is angry customers who vent their feelings on social media rather than reaching out to your support team. The reason for this could be anywhere from receiving the order late, the wrong product delivered, the product with defects or even just that the customer had a bad day at work. As a business, you have to wade through all the anger thrown at you assertively, smartly and abruptly. These are times when people in your network are watching whether you care. Addressing the problem and time to resolve the problem will determine if the user will stick or will pull people away from your business.
How to handle complaints on twitter?
- See if you can track the order in your CRM based on the name of the user
- Ask the user enter the details in a private form for you to review
- See if the complaint is genuine
- Make use of Direct Messaging feature to communicate order details with the customer
- Identify the glitch and solve it
- Keep the user posted during every step of the issue resolution
- An apology or a free goodie might help
We understand Soudeep, apologies for the delay in response. We've responded to your DM. Request you to have a check.
— Myntra Support (@MyntraSupport) March 15, 2017
Acknowledge customer appreciation – You can acknowledge your fan’s loyalty by thanking them on Twitter. The conversation can help project trust in your brand and reaffirm the fact that you are listening to the customer even after the purchase is made.
Glad to know that! Thank you Srishti! Keep shopping!
— Myntra Support (@MyntraSupport) March 18, 2017
Step 5: Leverage Free Twitter Tools
Twitter for business gives multiple tools for e-commerce businesses to increase exposure of their products. Using these tools you can increase engagement, increase followers, showcase your products and increase sales. Visit bussiness.twitter.com for a complete range of tools.
Summary Card – Summary cards are an intuitive way of presenting a product in a tweet. The card includes an image of the product, description, and URL of the product. Once you integrate twitter summary card all your product tweets appear in a neat card format on Twitter leading to higher exposure and click-throughs.
Here is how Amazon products appear on Twitter with a title, URL, image, and description.
You can easily integrate Twitter cards with popular e-commerce platforms like Bigcommerce, Volusion, Shopify, and Magento.
Twitter Widgets – You can use twitter widgets for multiple purposes. You can place the follow button on your online store website and email to convert existing website users and customer base into followers on Twitter. Encourage sharing of your products on Twitter by placing the button on your product page. Embed tweets from your loyal customers as testimonials on your about us page. Check Twitter for Websites
Step 6: Run Campaigns and Contests
Contests – Run contests to increase engagement on Twitter. Contests bring your brand into the limelight. Contests which expect people to tweet your handle with a relevant hashtag helps people associate your brand with the right product. Contests bring in people who talk to each other about your brand. A contest could be something as simple as a giveaway or a tweet to unlock coupon or a photo contest of your products.
Twitter Ads – You can use Twitter Ads for multiple reasons. You can use Twitter Ads to increase engagement on your tweets, increase followers, to drive visitors to your online store or increase the number of app installs. Ads are most effective when you couple it with a contest or a giveaway. Twitter Ads can boost your campaign into virality and move your audience from few hundreds to few thousands within a short span. Check Twitter Ads
Step 7: Keep Measuring
Measuring against your objectives helps you see if your Twitter marketing is going in the right direction. With social media, progress doesn’t necessarily show up in sales. Progress can be seen in how well your follower base in growing and interacting with you.
Tag your campaigns for right measurement
Measuring the ROI of your efforts is critical. Often social traffic gets mixed up as direct and referral traffic. To prevent this from happening you have to tag your URLs appropriately. If you are using Google analytics you will need to use the URL builder to tag your campaigns appropriately.
Metrics To Measure
- Amplification rate – Number of retweets per tweet ratio
- Applause rate – Number of favorited tweets per tweet
- Conversation rate – Number of replies per tweet
- Revenue Generated – Gross revenue generated through Twitter
You can measure all the above metrics by using the tool called Truesocialmetrics. All you have to do it connect your social media profiles and google analytics account. The tool shows which of your social media channels are doing best.
If you want to go free you can use Twitter’s own analytics tool. You can find amplification rate, applause rate and conversation rate using this tool. In order to measure actual revenue, you will have to check your Google Analytics reports.
Things to Remember
- It is a long game – Do not expect results from Twitter within few weeks of use. Driving sales through twitter is about building trust and relationships before closing the deal.
- Strategy over tactics – See how you can do it right. Hustle for long-term relationships rather than thinking of how you can pull a trick to get more sales over the weekend.
- Relationships first. Sales Come later – E-commerce players who do twitter right are the ones who pay heed to what their customers are saying and are committed to having conversations every day.