Facebook matters for your business. If you are not using Facebook for your ecommerce business then you are missing a treasure trove.
Consider these stats on Facebook –
- 1.37 billion daily active users as of September 2017
- 2.07 billion monthly active users as of September 30, 2017
- An average person spends around 15 hours and 33 minutes on Facebook every month.
- over 2.5 million websites integrated with Facebook.
If Facebook was a country, it would have been the largest country in the world. It is one of the most visited websites on the internet. Daily a billion people- male, female, kids, adults and aged use facebook. Travelling, watching TV, at home and work. And, chances are a significant population of your target audience is using Facebook. So why not be there, where your customers are!
Connecting with your target audience is just one of the many benefits of Facebook. In this post, I will help you find the optimal potential of Facebook for your business. And, discuss best practices to drive sales and build a brand.
First is to identify your goal. What do you want to achieve on Facebook?
Facebook can help your ecommerce business in following ways-
- Build awareness for your business
- Drive preference and differentiation
- Boost traffic to your traffic and conversions
- Engage with your audience and build relationships
- Encourage word of mouth publicity
- Gain insights into customer interests
So identify what you wish to achieve from your Facebook marketing. You can pick one goal, two or work to achieve all the goals.
Whatever may be your goal, you would need to create a Facebook Page to be able to promote your business.
HOW TO SET UP A PAGE FOR YOUR BUSINESS?
Pages are meant for businesses like yours to share their stories and connect with people. Like profiles, you can customize Pages can with stories, events and more. People who like or follow a Page can get updates in News Feed.
To create a Page:
- Go to facebook.com/pages/create
- Click to choose a Page category. Most of the business will be in a brand or product category.
- Select a more specific category from the drop-down menu. Fill out the required information
- Click ‘Get Started’ and follow the on-screen instructions
To create a Page, you’ll need to log in to Facebook. You’ll manage your Page from your personal account. But your info (e.g. your name, email address) won’t appear on your Page unless you choose to add it.
In the Facebook Page, you can-
- Brand your page with logo and images.
- Promote your products.
- Put your company information.
- Create a ‘Shop Now’ button and give access to your store.
- Post videos, photos and other content to engage customers.
HOW TO PROMOTE YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE?
Now that you have built your Page, you need to promote it to get some fans. Here are a few tips to promote your page-
- Install facebook buttons on your website. Use coupons or other allurements to encourage your users to ‘like’ the page and follow you on Facebook.
- Put facebook handle in your email signatures and other online marketing collaterals.
- Send a mail to your existing customers to follow you on Facebook.
- If you have accounts on other social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn etc., then promote your Facebook page there.
- Post interesting and engaging content-photos, videos, messages and offers etc., on you page. Encourage users to ‘like’ and ‘follow’ your page.
- You can turn on messaging for your Page so that people can send private messages to your business to ask questions, get in touch or make suggestions.
- Use newsfeed. Every time a user engages with your page that activity is published to their “news feed” which is then seen by all of their friends on Facebook.
- Make sure that your page is ‘Public’ so that people can find you in searches.
- If you have budget, then use Facebook ads to promote your page.
- Run contests on the platform to give more visibility to your page.
HOW TO DRIVE SALES WITH FACEBOOK ADS?
Facebook helps you in promoting your pages, driving traffic to your store and promote your brand. However, before you run an ad campaign, you need to do two things-
- Set Up An Advertising Account
You’ll need to create an advertising account to run advertisements on Facebook. Every account has an ad manager available to run campaigns. But, if you plan to manage more than one ad account or if someone else (employee or agency) will be managing your account you will need to use a Business Manager account.
- Install Facebook Pixels
Facebook Pixels is to FaceBook what Google analytics is to Google. It helps you track your ad performance. You can understand the actions people take after seeing your ads. How many people clicked on the ad? How many conversions? Facebook Pixels is also useful in retargeting customers. In a retargeting campaign, you can target people who have visited your website and not purchased anything.
If you have built your site on an ecommerce platform such as Shopify, BigCommerce, Volusion etc., then check with their customer support on integrating Facebook Pixel with your site.
Ok…integrated Facebook Pixel on your site? Now time to create ads.
Types of Ads
Facebook offers different types of ads. Currently, Facebook allows following formats to choose from:
Photo: A simple format with a single image ad and some copy.
Video: Here you can add a video with some copy.
Carousel: This format allows you to show up to ten multiple images or videos with some copy.
Slideshow: In this format, you can create ads that cycle through multiple images or videos. The slideshow runs automatically based on the set image duration.
Collection: This format allows people who click on your ad to browse more products or know more about the features of the product, in a fast-loading experience.
Source: Venture Beat
Canvas – This format is only available for mobile. It allows you to cycle through multiple images or videos, on full-screen, immersive ads format rather than ads displayed on a news feed.
TIPS FOR DESIGNING ADS
You need to make your ads to stand out among other posts in the news feed. Then only users will notice it. Here are a few tips for designing good Facebook ads-
- Follow the 80/20 rule. Facebook necessitates image ads to be 80% image and 20% text.
- Use bright colors to grab attention.
- Use good quality images relevant to your messaging. Show people using your product. Build happiness around it.
- Use less text but keep the message simple and powerful. Use good Call-to-actions (CTAs) to encourage action.
- Use humor if possible. Facebook is fun.
- Create different versions of your ad and test to find out the better one.
Create 4 to 5 different ad creatives for each campaign. This is to avoid repetition of the same ad. Multiple ads will ensure that a user is not bored with the same ad again and again. You can set the frequency of ads and cycling of different ad versions as per your need in the ad manager.
TARGETING THE RIGHT AUDIENCES
Identifying your target audience is important to the success of any advertising campaign. It brings more conversions and helps you control your budget. so think who is the right audience for your product. Based on your customers’ data, such as demographics, interests, and behaviors, you can connect with people similar to them. You have three options for choosing your audience-
- Core Audiences- Here, you can select your target audience manually based on demographics, location, interests, and behaviors.
- Custom Audiences- Target your existing customers on Facebook. Using this, you can target your existing customers, people who have visited your website or those who use your mobile app.
- Lookalike Audiences- Target people who are similar to your customers and contacts. Facebook automatically uses the data uploaded by you and also people who engage with your Facebook page to create lookalike audiences.
HOW TO SET UP ADS?
- Log into facebook. Go to https://www.facebook.com/business/ and click on ‘Create an Ad’.
- Now choose your marketing objective from the options available.
- Once you select your objective, you need to add a campaign name or use the appearing default name.
- Now it’s time to create ad sets. First name your ad set. You can also use default name.
- Choose the website or app that you want to promote. You need to enter URL of the website and app here.
- In the audience section, select an audience you want to show your ads to.
- Next is the placements section. Here you have three choices-
- Ads in the home tab of their Messenger mobile app.
- Automatic placements wherein Facebook will automatically show ads in the places where they’re likely to perform best.
- Edit placements wherein you can select devices, platforms, and operating systems to show your ads. You can also exclude places where you don’t want your ads to show up. Learn more about selecting ad placements.
- In the Budget & Schedule section, choose a budget and set your ad’s schedule. Learn more about budget, delivery, and charges on your Facebook ads.
- It’s time to create your ads. Give your ad a name or use the default name that appears.
- In the format section, choose the format type.
- Add the text or the copy of your ad. Upload images or videos.
You also have the option to add a CTA button and use deep link for mobile apps. A deep link is a URL that takes people who click on your ad to a specific location within your app, such as a product page.
MEASURING YOUR AD PERFORMANCE
Facebook has built-in analytics to help you keep track of your performance. It gives detailed data on how your campaign is performing. Here are few metrics you need to keep your eye on-
- Traffic to your website or app
- Sales generated
- Cost per sale
- Budget spent
Tracking these key metrics will help you optimize the performance of your ad campaigns and get a high return on your investments.
Here are a few resources that will help you in sharpening your Facebook Marketing strategy-